February 11, 2013

A Community Newspaper's Mission and My Vision


People have told me for many years that newspapers are a vanishing breed soon to be as extinct as dinosaurs.I believe those predictions to be true and imminent for the daily newspaper, however, the weekly newspaper is a different creature. It is much less threatened by the Internet news providers and likely to be the longest lasting of this dinosaur medium we call newspapers. I see them surviving well into this century's third decade.

I considered buying the local newspaper, but two things came glaring out of my due diligence;  one, I did not want to buy someone's current situation and two, I could, with the support of the amazing team I have put together, do it myself.


So my vision of a community newspaper.
  • Focus - On an affinity group geographically defined and bound.
  • Education - The basis for our educators to communicate with our community, be it anywhere from pre-school to collegiate level.
  • Theme - Rally around the community and people who support it.
  • Business - First serve the community from within. Second, support the community produced products that generate employment and third, be a communication conduit between businesses and the community to create a stable and efficient business environment.
  • Government - The portal for government information that the community needs to know and a method to discuss issues through civic journalism.
Thus my community, Windham, Maine 
Exemplified by - An Eagle - In our Schools and in our Community.
The Windham Eagle
Publishing Volume 1 - Issue 1 - March 1, 2013

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations,
    I can tell by your enthusiasm that your paper will serve the community well.Don't forget us "Windish" people that live east of 237. We'd like to be included in your paper as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, "Standish Foreside"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this new concept. Minor suggestion Change the "green" font. May just be my old eyes, but I find it really difficult to read.

    Good luck with the new endeavor!

    ReplyDelete